As I write this, it’s International Women’s Day (March 8) so I’d like to recognize the three most incredible women I know. My awesome wife Kathy, who has put up with me for over 26 years. My daughter Megan who amazes me more and more every day, and my mom, who raised me and has been my biggest cheerleader, faithfully through the good, bad and the ugly.
Years ago, while I was still living at home, I was talking with my mom about my future. Things like marriage, careers and families. I remember being concerned about how much it would cost not only to get married but to be married. My mom looked at me and said, “If you wait until you can afford it, you’ll never do it.”
Today we wrap up “Five Keys To Living Your Best Life Now” and ask the question, “What are you waiting for?” What is stopping you from Living Your Best Life NOW?
Key #5 Live Your Best Life NOW
My mom was trying to tell me that as long as I come up with excuses for not doing something, even something as important as getting married, it’ll never happen.
I think most of us are good at coming up with “reasons” why we can’t or won’t do something. But when it comes to living our best life…why not now? What are you waiting for?
Over the course of this short series, we’ve broken down the phrase “Live Your Best Life Now” by looking at each word, one at a time.
- Part 1 – choosing to live rather than to simply watch others live
- Part 2 – choosing to live your life, not someone else’s plan for our life
- Part 3 – deciding to live up to our potential, rather than squander it
- Part 4 – recognizing that all the areas of our life (relationships, career, health, finances etc) matter and are interconnected
“Teach us to number our days” Ps 90:12
When I think about the first 20 years of my life, it seems like they went on and on and on. When I consider the last 20 years, they seem to have passed by so quickly. Maybe it’s because I’m 50 and life seems to be flying by but I think that is all the more reason to choose to live my best life now!
Or maybe it’s because…
- my dad died at 54 and I’m not much younger
- this morning I discovered a close friend is scheduled to have quadruple bypass surgery in 2 days
- my children are “suddenly” adults
- I’ve been married for 26 years now and the conversation with my mom seems like yesterday
- I meet people regularly who are overwhelmed and unfulfilled
What does it mean to “number our days”? I think it means, to evaluate the use of our time in light of the brevity of life.
What’s The Alternative?
Whether we have 6 months or 60 years yet to live, why wouldn’t we want to live our best life NOW?
What’s stopping you from making the changes you want to make in your life? Do any of these resonate with you?
- When this busy season is over
- When I save enough
- I’ll start next month
- I don’t have time
- After my next promotion
- I don’t know where to start
- I’m overwhelmed
- What’s the point, nothing will ever change
- What if I fail
Are you living your best life now? Or are you delaying making the changes you know you want to make?
What changes would make the biggest difference for you and why? What is stopping you from making those changes and making them now?
If you have questions or would like to explore life coaching but you’re not sure where to begin, contact me to arrange an initial free 30 minute call. Let’s talk.
Simply fill out the form below and we can arrange a conversation. I look forward to it.